McLendon Minority Leadership Initiative (MLI): The purpose of the McLendon Minority Leadership Initiative (MLI) is to provide minorities- known as MLI Future Leaders - a jump-start to their careers through practical experiences, opportunities to build their network, and instilling the values of John McLendon: Integrity, Education, Leadership, and Mentorship. Coaches participating in the initiative are Ambassadors of the program and will serve as mentors to the Future Leaders on their campuses. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree to apply.
The Communications Specialist will function primarily as a member of the Communications Staff while supporting various sports in Kansas Athletics. This position will report directly to the Assistant Athletic Director -- Communications. The Communications Specialist will also support the Associate Athletics Director for Inclusive Excellence as an active member of the Kansas Athletics Diversity Leadership Council (DLC).
Duration: August 2022 - June 2023
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position:
- Assist in communication efforts with Kansas Athletics through working games and events, aiding communications staff in game preparation, statistical work and publications for media and fans;
- Research and provide statistical details that can be used in the various publicity efforts for Kansas Athletics and its 16 sports;
- Maintain clips for Jayhawks in the News and distribute to staff multiple times a week;
- Help pitch and promote storytelling within Kansas Athletics and assist in the overall publicity efforts;
- Work collaboratively with the Communications staff, and depending on experience, with coaches and student-athletes to help create unique content ideas for social media, and storytelling opportunities;
- Maintain current trends on social media platforms and relevant sports topics to implement at KAI;
- Assist in maintenance of weekly stats and game notes;
- Establish effective relationships with coaching staffs, student-athletes, athletic department personnel, and other key Kansas Athletics stakeholders;
- Must adhere to all University, Kansas Athletics, Big 12 and NCAA rules and regulations;
- Handle confidential information and sensitive situations with the upmost professionalism and within the policies and procedures of Kansas Athletics, the Big 12 Conference, NCAA and State of Kansas;
- Other duties as assigned.
Must adhere to all University of Kansas, Big 12 & NCAA rules and regulations.
- Bachelor's degree
- Effective and flexible communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, or another related area
- Two years of experience working in the sports industry
MLI Job ID: 89
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.